SALIS Committees: Membership
Chair: Meg Brunner, Alcohol & Drug Abuse Institute, Univ. of Washington, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Members: Meg Brunner, Kadee Carpenter,
Diane van Abbe
History & Purpose: The Membership
and Outreach Committee tackles issues such as membership
recruitment, participation, and retention, in an effort
to help keep SALIS strong. Through 'outreach' we can contact
and communicate with other organizations that share goals
similar to those of SALIS, to make them more aware of our
goals and achievements.
Communication: The committee meeting regularly
by conference call to discuss current and future actions.
Projects & Activities:
- Membership recruitment and retention: send out renewal
notices, contact lapsed members
- Created a "What is SALIS?" Talking Points
- Organize fun activities at the SALIS conferences, e.g.
committee members wear stickers on their name badges to
stir up conversation and entice others to join the committees.
- Explored Web 2.0 as a vehicle for enhancing SALIS visibility
and outreach: Recommended to Executive Board the creation
of SALIS Facebook and LinkedIn "group pages,"
as well as a SALIS Wikipedia entry.
- Examing membership structure to determine if it should
- Survey current membership for categorizing into types
of libraries or people (webmasters, mental health, prevention,
research, alcohol, harm reduction).
- Identify new members and mentor them.
- Survey former members to gather ideas about why they
have left the organization, and address those concerns.